Friday, November 1, 2013

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake Bars

So the fall weather got to me and I just had to make something pumpkin-y.
I've been cooking pretty healthy lately, but today, I didn't.
This pumpkin-y goodness came from cans and a box, but is OH so worth it.

Preheat that oven to 400 degrees, grease two 9 inch round cake pans and let's get bakin'.

Graham Cracker Crust:
3 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs (I used boxed, if you're feeling daring you can crumble your own graham crackers)
2 Sticks Melted Unsalted Butter (yep, that's a lot of butter)
2 t. Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Sugar

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and split it between the two pans. Press the crumbles down into the bottom of each pan so it's nice and flat. You can pop them into the fridge while you work on the rest of the bars, the butter should stiffen up a bit and the crust will hold together better. (I know because I only put one pan in the fridge...guess which crust held together better? Yep.)

Cream Cheese Filling:
8 oz. Softened Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Sour cream
1 Egg
2 Tbsp. Sugar

Combine all the ingredients very, very well with a whisk. Beat until there are absolutely no lumps. This took me 5-8minutes by hand. If you have an electric mixer, I'm sure it would only take seconds, but I'm a bit against using electronics in the kitchen. I like to do it all by hand. Set aside.

Pumpkin Filling:
2 Cans Pureed Pumpkin
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Egg
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Seasoning (you can use the individual seasonings if you don't have this. It's Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Gloves and Ginger. I'd say a Teaspoon of each?)
And a pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients and beat well until there are no lumps and everything is well incorporated. This only took me a minute or so.

Now for the fun part! I split the pumpkin mixture into the two pans and used a spatula to evenly spread it across the crust. Then I took a large spoon and put 3 big spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture into the pumpkin. I used the tip of a knife and began swirling! You can do this anyway you'd like and make any kind of design. Mine was pretty boring.
Put both pans in the oven on the bottom rack and set a timer for 45 minutes. I ended up taking mine out with 3 minutes left, but who knows, yours might need those extra 3 minutes.
Take them out of the oven once they have finished cooking and let them rest for 20-30 minutes to make sure everything has set.

(Longest 30 minutes of my life)

Once they're cool, cut them up and eat! They're delish.


Who says amazing things can't come from a box?? (or can)

No comments:

Post a Comment